Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Dinner of Herbs

(click to enlarge)
George William Joy
(Irish, 1844-1925)
A Dinner of Herbs, 1900
Oil on canvas

The title comes from this bible verse:
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a fattened ox served with hatred.
Proverbs 15:16-18
George Joy wrote of this painting:
"It is spring-time, as is suggested by the daffodils which the man has picked on his way from work. Their fare is of the simplest; and, though the young wife feels the cares of life, and perhaps the pinch of poverty, yet love sits at the feast."
 Isn't it sweet? :)

4 comments:

  1. The man looks so in love. Very sweet!
    Love the clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna. Oh, to have a man gaze at me so adoringly! (And of course I would return it... ^_^)

    I guess I shall have to wait. All in God's time. Not that I particularly like this waiting, haha.

    Lovely little painting. It would be a good one to hang in a kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rosemary:

    In my Blog newsfeed thingy, I had a little 'notice' for your post for the painting called The Foundling. Whither has it gone? I see it not. :( It looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally posted The Foundling last night, when I meant to schedule it for today. I do that rather often. ;) But it's there now! And it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete