Wednesday, October 20, 2010

St. Therese

(click to enlarge)
Edgar Maxence
(French, 1871-1954)
St. Therese, ????
Oil on canvas
Thérèse of Lisieux (2 January 1873 – 30 September 1897), or Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, born Marie-Françoise-Thérèse Martin, was a French Carmelite nun. She is also known as "The Little Flower of Jesus".
from her wikipedia article.

 She is often pictured with an armful of roses because of what she said on her deathbed: “After my death, I will let fall a shower of roses. I will spend my Heaven doing good upon earth. . . My mission is to make God loved."

4 comments:

  1. This painting is gorgeous - colors are amazing. I feel as if she is looking into my heart. Great example of art nouveau. I would love to purchase a print, but cannot find one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know what the value of this original painting would be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure hwo to find that information, sorry! It's beautiful and Maxence is fairly famous, so I'm guessing it'd be worth a good amount. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. £13,200 an action at Bonham just googled it

    ReplyDelete